2017 rewind
Happy New Year again to this blog and to readers!
2017 has been a relatively good year for me, and quite a lot of things have happened. I haven't been good at updating this blog, unfortunately. As one of my resolutions this year, I want to update this blog more often. One post a month sounds doable, right? Well, let's see.
For the first post of the year, it'll be a rundown of the previous year and its ups and downs. So 2017, what were you all about?
Quitting my first job
Back at the end of 2016, I got my first job which was a temp role. I had felt incredibly behind in life after graduating at 24 with no real work experience. So this first job was a good start for me and while it had its grating moments (it's a customer support role, just imagine), I still look back on it fondly. Definitely not a bad first job.
 |
| I took this as I hopped on the bus home after my last day. |
25th and traveling with friends
In March, I turned 25! Big old milestone age. So I wanted to do something as I usually don't do birthdays. A holiday to Seville was planned, and it was also the first time I've travelled with my sixth form friends. I guess it took a while for us to all be graduated and working. We ate some wonderful tapas, walked around sunny Seville, and even took a day trip to Cordoba.
 |
| Plaza de España |
 |
| Inside the Mezquita de Córdoba |
Move to Japan
The big thing in 2017 was my move to Japan at the end of March. After waiting for more than half a year for my application to be finalised, I realised I only had a few days in between quitting my job, going to Spain, and jumping on a plane to Tokyo. That week and a half was definitely a mix of emotions.
But there I was, packed with a big suitcase, a backpack and a laptop bag. All ready to start my new contracted life in Japan.
It's now been almost 10 months since I've moved here. My job has been fun, challenging, boring, repetitive, exciting, freeing, rewarding, difficult, and all the feelings one feels in most jobs. I have been very lucky with my school; the teachers and the students are all lovely and great to work with. I would consider myself lucky if I can work here again this year.
I've also met some wonderful people who have helped me settle in better here, like my teachers, ALT friends, English club friends, and even some students who welcome me in their school life.
This year in Miyagi has been much different from my year in Hokkaido. I will always have a soft spot for Sapporo, but I can say for certain that this time, I am enjoying my time here better. I feel it's because I'm more settled and well adjusted after my experience in Hokkaido, and just the fact that I'm not a student, and have a salary this time. Maybe it's also because I'm older? There are many factors to this, I'm sure. In any case, I'm glad I came here again.
Bullet Journaling
This is the odd one out, but I find myself spending a lot of time on it. Around July 2016, I tried my hand on journaling again. I used to write a journal quite regularly but it would always feel like a chore after a while.
Bullet journaling isn't so much journaling but an organiser or planner of some sort. You'd see plenty of creative people with colourful and aesthetically bloggable journals, but the basic of it is on the original bullet journal creator, Ryder Caroll's website.
If you want to give it a shot, leave the creativity and doodle juices aside and just start with a single pen and notebook.
I started off with a dotted notebook I got from Daiso. I really enjoyed the process but my cheap notebook started falling apart pretty soon. I stuck with it until the year finished and I've now got a nicer notebook which I love! I'm also putting more effort into making it look neater. :D
 |
| My dilapidated 100 yen notebook |
 |
| 1st bujo index |
 |
| First attempts at trying to do different weekly spreads. It didn't last. |
 |
| Started adding a habit tracker... |
 |
| The layout I've finally decided on. Separate work and personal weekly spread. |
 |
| Dedicated monthly trackers. |
 |
| My 2018 journal! It's the Midori MD in A5, grid. |
 |
| Still using the same layout. :) |
Travels
Looking back, I am very impressed I managed to travel to so many places in 2017. (I admit, I could have better managed my finances and saved up, but I don't entirely regret it.) I did solo trips, trips with other people, small day trips, weekend trips, and even international trips.
There was Spain back in March. In the summer, I went to the Philippines again and this time to Boracay. That was fun. I forget how restoring being around water is. Many days were spent lazing around beaches, watching beautiful sunsets, eating cheap bread and getting sand everywhere. My friend also came for a day which we used to do a tour and try some water activities. I didn't know what they were until I tried them, but apparently I've now parasailed, and done paraw sailing. To more adventures with this friend! (Okay, KC? Pramis yan ha. :D)
 |
| First night and sunset at the island |
 |
| Already looking tanned and my legs look good in this picture. Haha. |
 |
| Parasailing |
 |
| Sunset while paraw sailing. |
 |
| My last full day. I spent most of the afternoon at Puka Beach. |
 |
| Fire dancers at Red Coconut. |
 |
| One of the few days I was in Manila. With my cousins and my grown up nieces and nephew! |
The bulk of my travels were of course in Japan. Notably, I went to a good number of places here in my prefecture. I went to Shiroishi, Naruko, Shiogama, Iwadeyama, and Matsushima.
 |
| Ickle babies during the Masamune Kou festival in Iwadeyama. |
 |
| Matsushima Bay |
 |
| The bridge connecting mainland Matsushima and Fukuura Island |
 |
| Wakuya Castle during Spring. |
 |
| Entrance to Shiogama Shrine. |
 |
| Kamasaki Onsen area in Shiroishi. |
 |
| Fox Village in Shiroishi-Zao. |
I also went to Akita prefecture thanks to the wonderful Y-san. She invited me and another ALT to her hometown and we stayed at hers and watched the Kantou Festival. She also took us around Akita to look at some sights!
 |
| Namahage |
 |
| Nyudosaki Lighthouse, in Oga, Akita. |
 |
| Kantou (pole lanterns) |
 |
| Kantou Festival in Akita City. |
 |
| Me all dressed up in a summer yukata! |
 |
| Baba-hera ice cream. Rose-shaped ice cream sold by old ladies! |
However, my most anticipated trip was probably the ryokan trip to Nikko with Lucia. The most expensive trip I've probably done, but it was so so worth it. So worth it that we're debating whether we should go to the same resort chain in a different location... Nice hotels are addictive. Onsen are addictive. Long were the days I dreaded public baths.
 |
| At Toshogu Shrine |
 |
| Breakfast at the hotel |
 |
| Part of the kaiseki course menu dinner. Everything was so good. |
 |
| After bath relaxing area. Super candid. |
 |
| We could see this mountain and the lake nearby from our hotel room. We went for a walk before breakfast! |
Oh, we also went to Disney Sea and Ghibli Museum a month before Nikko!
 |
| We spent so much on character foods. |
 |
| Ghibli Museum. |
Travels ended 2017 and started 2018 for me too. My sister came to visit during the winter vacation and we went to quite a few places. Some as mentioned before, were Naruko and Matsushima. We also went to Tokyo again, and also to Kawaguchi Lake to see Mount Fuji. I don't recall ever wanting to see Mount Fuji. But I'm very glad my sister did, and we took time to see it. Despite getting up before 5am to take a bus there, the day was beautiful and refreshing. A nice break from the busy Tokyo scene.
 |
| View from our ryokan in Naruko. It took us about 3 hours to get there due to the snow storm. |
 |
| Donning our yukata! |
 |
| Illumination at Sendai. |
 |
| My sister "climbing" the Zuihoden Mausoleum. |
 |
| At Aoba Castle with Date Masamune at the back. |
 |
| Gyu-tan aka beef tongue. |
 |
| Soup curry in Sendai! It was pretty damn good. |
 |
| More winter illumination. In Tokyo. |
 |
| Attending the fox festival on New Year's Eve at Oji Town in Tokyo. |
 |
| Mount Fuji. |
 |
| Can you still see Mt Fuji? |
 |
| And our last picture before she left for home! :) |
And that was my 2017! Full of travelling, eating, and embracing the ALT lifestyle. First year has been easy, but I'm sure the second year is going to be a little different.
Nevertheless, I'm optimistic for 2018 and I cannot wait to have more experiences.
Have a good year ahead everyone! Don't let the world bring you down. There will always be little things to be happy about.
x Sheila