Interac Application Process

Saturday, April 29, 2017 0 Comments A+ a-

Since the news that I am indeed now in Japan, I thought I'd make a post about my application for Interac UK. I wrote this months ago, and it's been sitting in my draft since. I didn't want to post it in its entirety because 1) I was still waiting for information from the company, and 2) I didn't want to jinx anything. So the timeline or the things mentioned might be a little off. But you'll get the gist of it.

Here's to anyone who is interested in applying for the same company, and get their foot into ALTing in Japan.

ALT and Interac, what are they?
ALT = Assistant Language Teacher. As far as I'm aware, in the Japanese context these are always English teachers, but correct me if I'm wrong. As for Interac, according to their website:
Founded in 1972, Interac is Japan’s largest private provider of professional foreign teachers to the Japanese government through its ALT program. Interac is also a significant player in providing professional teachers for commercial and government organizations.
Interac is one of the largest non-government employers of foreign nationals in Japan. It employs nearly 3,000 staff in Japan across a network of 13 offices. Around 2,750 of these employees are non-Japanese. (Source: Interac: About Us)
It's one of the many companies recruiting and sending English ALTs to Japan. Just Google 'ALT Japan jobs' and you'll likely find a list of companies, both private and government-led. But in this particular post, I will be talking about my application process for Interac.




Online application
The first time I heard about this company is through my university. A representative told us that they have open applications throughout the year, but essentially they send recruits twice a year -- mostly in March, in time for the start of Japanese school year; the other being around September or in the middle of the Japanese school year.

I had second thoughts about applying since I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to Japan this soon. I had only been back in the UK for over a year during my final year in uni, and maybe I wanted to find work in the UK first. (Which I actually did!) But I suppose Japan still has a draw for me.

In terms of requirements, there are only 2 things you really need to have:
  1. A Bachelor's degree
  2. 12 years of education in the English medium
Initially, I thought I couldn't apply, but I just made it in terms of 12 years of English education. Who'd have thunk my 6 years of university life would work to my advantage. I probably would have pushed for Philippines being a bi-lingual country to be fair.

(Disclaimer: These are the requirements for Interac directly. Those applying from the Philippines through a different company appears to have a stricter set of requirements. So make sure to check before you apply.)

With those two requirements met, head to their website and apply. Their application form is quite long and you'd need quite a lot of details. Like any job application, you have the personal details, references, work experience and education to provide. On top of that, you need a cover letter of some sort, along with extra boxes for explaining your language details (if applicable), and your preferences for areas in Japan and education level to teach.

(Things that could help your application are: a fully working driver's licence, teaching experience, and teaching qualification. Of course, being able to demonstrate your English fluency is essential so make sure your application is spotless!)

So I sent my application around April, and on the same month, I got a reply saying that I got through the initial screening. Woohoo.

Initial screening
So you've now passed your initial screening, congratulations! Of course you did! You'd get an email telling you to attend a seminar-interview or have a Skype interview if you were applying outside the UK. You would have options of seminar dates, and these are held in York, London, Dublin, Oxford and Edinburgh. Take your pick or if you can't attend any of them, arrange a Skype interview.

Before the interview though, you also need to fill in a questionnaire which they'll attach to that invitation email. This has questions like what your experiences are with living in Japan, your teaching experience if any, and awareness of what being an ALT is like in Japan. Easy stuff.

Seminar-interview and documents
So you've sent your questionnaire and your interview preferences. Now you wait. For me, I was getting antsy after 2 weeks of silence so I sent them a follow up email. They replied by week 3 apologising for the delay and confirming my attendance date and location. Mine was about 3 weeks after receiving that email, which left me with plenty of time to prepare.

Prior to the seminar, you are asked to collect a couple of documents, some of which you're supposed to bring to the seminar (or send via post to their office) and some to upload on your online application. Easy enough. The only issues you're likely to have are
  • obtaining a Japan-specific visa photo which are different from your generic UK passport photos. You'd need to go to your local Snappy Snaps or Jessops (do they still have this?) or anywhere that can print and cut to a specific size
  • The other one is the confirmation letter from your university of when and what you studied during your time there. They ask for either an original document of your transcript or a graduation letter (normally called a 'To Whom It May Concern' letter') stamped by your university
Another thing you might want to do prior to the interview is pre-record or practice your demo video. One big part of the Interac application is doing a 6-minute demo video of yourself carrying out a short lesson. Having done it, I can say now that it's not a big deal. But with my 3 weeks of preparation before my interview, I can tell you I was constantly worrying about it to the point of questioning whether it was all worth it. But honestly, it's not as bad as it seems.

The video is split into 4 parts: an introduction, a reading piece, a warm up exercise, and the actual 'teaching' part. They'll tell you how many seconds/minute each part should be, and what to do in detail in each section. You can even find a couple of examples on YouTube of past applicants. While some people decide to do their demo on the day of the interview, I would recommend pre-recording and sending the video to them. It might save you from unnecessary stress and worry on the day of the interview.

The seminar-interview was also pretty chill. Honestly, it was my first proper interview and I was surprised at how relaxed it was compared to all the interview prep articles I had read. I believe if you're interviewing in Oxford or London, you're likely to meet Hilary. She's very chill and really nice. You would have been told that the seminar could last up to 5 hours, but they rarely run that long. I could imagine if you have many people interviewing and everyone did their video on the day, it could take 5 hours. But mine didn't.

When you arrive, you would do a grammar test. Super easy, with a couple of things to catch you with. There was a whole part about passive sentences or something along those lines which I guessed. The rest were spelling and grammar -- don't worry, no essay type questions! Then you would do an introduction around the table, a simple 'Hello my name is ... My interest in Japan is ... I am currently working as ... ' would do. Nothing too pressing, it's just to break the ice and get to know your fellow interviewees. At which point Hilary will start her presentation about life in Japan, what INTERAC is, what your job will be like, culture, etc. All the while, asking you questions about what you know and any experiences if any of what she's talked about.

At the end of it, she'd give you a break and also hand you more questionnaire sheets. This questionnaire is going to be the baseline of your one-to-one interview so think about what you're writing down. You'd have plenty of time to fill them in, so don't rush.

Now, I'm really not sure if it was the same as everyone else's but my one-to-one interview involved very little asking of questions. After I handed her my questionnaire, she had a good read through it and any questions she had were anything on the questionnaire she wanted further details on. I didn't have the whole 'why do you want to work with us' or 'what are your strengths and weaknesses'. These were all on the questionnaire so I suppose that saves them time. It still took me by surprise though. And that's pretty much it.

After I handed her all the necessary documents, and we've exchanged answers and questions, she thanked me for coming to the interview and let me go. And I left feeling pretty confident that I didn't screw it up.

So go and ace that interview, you amazing person.

The waiting
A week or two passes, and all you've gotten is an email telling you thank you for attending the seminar, and also hey these are the documents you should send us. You start thinking you should apply for new jobs by now. Another week rolls by and you think 'well I really should have applied to other jobs because I clearly didn't do well.' Week 4 and you think a month is too long, I've given up, the least they could do is say they're rejecting my sorry butt.

BUT WAIT.

You wake up one Thursday morning to an email not with a 'Hi Sheila' but a 'Dear Sheila Catbagan' and you see the subject title 'Offer of Employme...' and you realise that you are indeed not as bad as you think you were. Heck, you're amazing and you definitely deserve this! And that you are one step away from selling yourself to the adult life.

So this offer of employment email will tell you when you are expected to start. But you soon realise that it's more waiting, as they do not let you know when and where in Japan you will be teaching. All I got from it is that I was a Spring 2017 recruit and any further details will be shared around October and February. October for a confirming email of whether you still plan on being with them, and February letting you know exactly when and where you are expected to be. You do however get details on what your contract would look like. And of course, you need to reply to them within 5 days of receiving that email whether you accept or decline the offer, so make sure you check your emails religiously. 

Thus ends the application process. I'll write about the dreaded training half week maybe in the future!


**2016
April
17/04 Application sent
25/04 Seminar dates invitation and questionnaire email

May
25/05 Seminar date confirmation and video demo email

June
13/06 Seminar-interview
15/06 Follow up email - thanking for interview attendance

July
14/07 Received offer of employment email

October
05/10 Received offer of employment email again (to reconfirm your intentions) + Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) application instructions
28/10 Received update emails - general time line of when what are going to happen. Also, a notice to update your resume online i.e. your application online -- add any new jobs, new qualifications, etc that you may have gotten since you first applied

November
09/11 Updated my resume online
10/11 Got a call from Japan, which I missed. They emailed asking when I'm free to call back.
11/11 Received an email instead offering my placement. Got 24 hours to confirm if I accept or reject. At that point, I was unsure of my first placement and decided to stall a bit
12/11 Stalling didn't work and they were prompt in the reply so I accepted my placement.
16/11 Received my official contract to print, sign and scan back to them

**2017
January
28/01 Applied for Background Check

February
04/02 Received Background Check document
06/02 Received Certificate of Eligibility
15/02 Applied for Visa
20/02 Picked up passport with visa
(sometime this month I also got the "online course training link" for preboarding and training)
28/02 Received school placement (JHS, yo)

March
19/03 Training began :)