7 Happy things

Sunday, August 31, 2014 0 Comments A+ a-

There have been a lot of nerves and general worry within my friends and classmates about work, life, starting year abroads, relationships... Life, basically. Mine is too boring, too normal but luckily generally alright for me to worry about things for far too long. I probably worry more about fictional characters more than my own life, which is unsettling but so far hasn't put me in any deep trouble.

It doesn't take much for me to be happy; a good internet connection, food and plenty of sleep and time alone usually does it. I'm like a plant you just need to water and talk to once in a while and I will thrive pretty well. Which is why it's difficult for me to hear about friends' problems and not be able to do anything about it. Or not feel frustrated and upset on their behalf. I'm great at taking care of myself, I think, but I'm terrible at making people feel better. (But I must not be that bad, seeing as I still have friends)

So I thought I'd put a few things that had made me feel better this week when I had bouts of low, but also things I just randomly found that made my mood even better than it already was. And also because I seem to have an obsession with linking stuff here now. Ahaha. I hope you find something here that lifts your spirits up even just a little, or for just a few minutes. :)

1. Out of Sight A short animated film about a blind girl whose bag was stolen by a thief whom her guide dog chased after, leaving her to wander around the city on her own.

 

2. Omelette Another short film I found while watching Out of Sight, and this one is quite sad, but it's hopeful and also pretty sweet. It's got a dog too! A very weird, but accommodating dog.
  
3. Um.. this one's a pretty cheery barbershop quartet type of song with frankly not safe for work lyrics. So maybe headphones would be advisable. It made me laugh and tap my toes along to. It's an audio clip on Tumblr.

4. Cabin Pressure final episode on 23 and 24 December, announced by John Finnemore himself. If you haven't heard of Cabin Pressure, it's a BBC radio comedy sitcom/series about a struggling and dysfunctional airline (or as they say, an airdot) crew consisting of just 4 people--the young, ambitious and who has a slight inferiority complex pilot, Captain Martin Crieff, his older, smooth and snarky co-pilot Douglas Richardson, the slightly terrifying CEO of the airline Caroline Knapp-Shappey, and the only steward and her son Arthur Knapp-Shappey who is the embodiment of optimism. 
This last 2-parter episode is going to be the final episode, so it's a bittersweet feeling. You can't help but be attached to these people and more, but if the last episode of season 4 is any indication, it should be a happy ending for this little family. 
I'm sure it's pretty easy to find online so I won't link it. Buuut here is a sample clip from my favourite episode, Qikiqutarjuaq. (Oh, did I mention Benedict Cumberbatch voices Martin Crieff? Well, there you go.)
I do highly recommend this. If there are two things that are fool-proof going to make me happy, it's Cabin Pressure and Gintama.
(I'm also tempted to have the audio on my phone and listen to it all during my flight to Japan.. not really advisable seeing as this crew isn't the best and frankly I would theoretically never fly with them. But it's very very funny)

5. Ooh Child - Nina Simone. If you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, you should know this song. I opted for Nina Simone's version because I adore her. I've probably been singing and humming this for the past couple of weeks...

6. Friends - Flight Of The Conchords. This was on a playlist I listened to recently. I'm ashamed to say I've never really watched/listened to them although I have heard of them. So this is my first song of theirs!

7. Steve - Garfunkel and Oates. Another musical comedy clip. Them, I only heard of recently and I think I have shown some people their other song 'Go Running with Chicken' which still makes me laugh thinking about it. But I'm putting this song because I've learned how to play it in the ukulele and that makes me happy.

(I'm bad at lists but I love them, so I'm adding one final happy thing here which is an anime recommendation. It's called Barakamon, and it's about a calligrapher who upon punching a judge in a competition was punished and exiled to the Kyushu islands where he has to adapt to living in the country and also accidentally adopt the islanders to his life and his home. If you like intergenerational friendships, this is one and it's super cute.)

(I'm linking this particular video for my Japanese classmates because I'm sure we've all felt like that at one point. Like, learning a new kanji and thinking 'heck yeah I'm so great at this' only to be told HA KUNYOMI/ONYOMI'

edit: bonus video for Barakamon's opening song because it's amazing)